Each morning, visit Patch to get the scoop on the top five things you need to know about Garden City, Mineola and New Hyde Park for the day - or weekend. Whether it’s an important meeting, fun event or a can't miss story, we'll make sure you stay informed on the top things that are defining your community right now.
Five things you need to know Aug. 17:
1. Women of Distinction: held his fifth annual Women of Distinction awards ceremony Saturday, honoring 10 local women making a difference in their respective 17th district communities. Find out which Garden City, Mineola and New Hyde Park residents were honored.
2. Water Damage Cancels Mineola Library Events: The has cancelled events scheduled for Wednesday due to “water damage” in the lower level of the building. The damage is reportedly due to the continuing impact from the Aug. 1 storm. Read more here.
3. New Hyde Park Museum Project: At the New Hyde Park Street Fair on Sept. 17, folks will be collecting photos, newspaper articles and an oral history from those who have lived in the village or whose families have lived there. The New Hyde Park Museum booth will be in front of Village Hall. "Hangout meetings" on Google+ are also being held. If you need an invite, click goo.gl/yi8CS with a gmail.com address. Read more about the project .
4. Tenth Anniversary of 9/11: The tenth anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001 is quickly approaching. As we near this day of remembrance, Patch is looking for people to share stories about how Sept. 11 affected or changed their lives. We are looking for families of those lost, people who survived, people who were supposed to be there but for some reason weren't and first responders who selflessly rushed to the scene. We also are seeking stories from residents who weren't directly affected, rather indirectly. For instance, maybe you know someone who changed their career path, joined the military or created a philanthropic organization in the wake of 9/11. Contact Garden City Patch editor Carisa Giardino at firstname.lastname@example.org; Mineola Patch editor Geoffrey Walter at email@example.com and New Hyde Park Patch editor Alexandra Zendrian at firstname.lastname@example.org if you or someone you know would like to participate.
5. Letip Lake Success Network Breakfast: Letip Lake Success, a networking organization open to select professionals to help grow your business, meets from 7-8:30 a.m. at the in New Hyde Park. Call Nick at 516-741-1100 for more information.