New York , R-East Meadow, hosted his fifth annual Women of Distinction awards Saturday afternoon at the Albertson VFW. The event honors the "extraordinary achievements of hardworking women" from his district.
With over 200 guests in attendance including former recipients of the award, family, friends, and this year’s honorees, “the event was a community-wide success,” McKevitt noted in a statement.
Mary-Grace Tomecki, village of Floral Park trustee, once again served as guest speaker at the event.
Women from the 17th Assembly District were recognized for their dedication and the tremendous impact they have had on their community, including Janet Bevers of Garden City Park.
“With the outpouring of support for these women in the community it is obvious that we are so fortunate to call them our friends and neighbors,” McKevitt said in a statement. “These women represent some of the most courageous and accomplished individuals in our state and nation. Taken together, their achievements and dedication have resulted in the continuous improvement of our quality of life and an enlargement of our sense of community here on Long Island.”
2011 honorees include:
- Deborah Beatty, Williston Park
- Janet Bevers, Garden City Park
- Gloria Brech, Williston Park
- Jane Cubilette, Floral Park Centre
- Jodi DeSantis-Helming, East Meadow
- Dorothy Episcopia, Garden City
- Sharon L. Eriksen, North Merrick
- Denise Goodstein, North Bellmore
- Jeanne Woods Ludwig, Mineola
- Charlotte Van der Waag, East Williston