Nassau County Police say they responded to a report of a chlorine spill at at 7:43 a.m. on Thursday.
There was some type of chlorine that had spilled in one of the basements and a few people were taken to the hospital, according to police.
Update: A spokesman noted that three employees were experiencing eye irritation and labored breathing and subsequently called the police. All three employees are in good condition but still at for further observation.
This incident was caused by a mechanical failure that the Town suspects caused a chlorine contamination. It's unknown at this time what the chlorine may have been contaminated with, the spokesman said.
The officer anticipated that the spill had been contained later that morning. The mechanical issue will hopefully be fixed by this weekend, according to the spokesman.
"This has never happened before," the spokesman said, adding that the Town is looking into the causes of the incident.
The pool is closed and will be until the Town is satisfied that this incident has been properly reviewed, the spokesman said.