The Town of North Hempstead’s "aging in place" program Project Independence is offering fall exercise and fitness classes, including tai-chi, yoga, and Zumba. The classes will be taught by professional certified instructors.
The free classes will be offered throughout the town and until late December. Registration for the classes is currently underway. For more information call 311 or 516-869-6311.
Property Tax Workshops
If you have questions about property tax exemptions, take heart. The Town of North Hempstead is holding upcoming workshops this fall, covering STAR, senior citizens, veterans and other exemptions and more, to help residents lower their property taxes.
New this year, the income limit for the Enhanced STAR Exemption for seniors has been increased to $81,900 – including adjusted gross income, less any taxable IRA distributions.
At the workshops, Receiver of Taxes Charles Berman will explain a new law that implements a registration procedure this year for the Basic STAR. The state now requires that all property owners currently receiving the Basic STAR Exemption register with the state’s Department of Taxation and Finance (www.tax.ny.gov) to receive the Basic STAR Exemption for the 2014-2015 school year and subsequent years. The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance will mail renewal letters to North Hempstead residents in late September 2013, with the filing deadline being Dec. 31.
Those with questions are asked to call at (518) 457-2036.
The workshops will be:
- Tuesday, Sept. 24 from 7-9 p.m. at Bryant Library, 2 Paper Mill Road, Roslyn
- Wednesday, Sept. 25 from 7-9:00 p.m at Port Washington Public Library, 1 Library Dr, Port Washington (Hagedorn Room)
- Thursday, Sept. 26 from 7-8:30 p.m. at East Williston Public Library, 2 Prospect Street, East Williston
- Tuesday, Oct. 1 from 7-8:30 p.m. at Westbury Memorial Public Library, 445 Jefferson Street, Westbury
- Tuesday, Oct. 15 from 2-3:30 p.m. at Great Neck Public Library, 159 Bayview Avenue, Great Neck
- Tuesday, Oct. 15, from 7-9 p.m. at Shelter Rock Public Library, 165 Searingtown Road, Albertson
- Tuesday, Oct. 29, from 7-8:45 p.m. at Hillside Public Library, 155 Lakeville Road, New Hyde Park
- Tuesday, Nov. 19 from 7-9 p.m. presented by the Williston Park Public Library in the Assembly Room of Village Hall, 494 Willis Avenue, 3rd Floor, Williston Park
Staff members will be on hand with applications for your convenience.
Affordable Care Act Presentation
Got questions about the Affordable Care Act? You’re not alone. The Town of North Hempstead Business & Tourism Development Corporation will be hosting a free two-hour presentation on the topic on Friday, Sept. 27, from 8-10 a.m., at the Harbor Links Club House (One Fairway Drive in Port Washington).
At the seminar, a panel of experts will discuss the costs, tax implications, as well as the New York Health Benefits Exchange, employer mandates and options, and the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit.
A continental breakfast will be served. To register for the seminar, call (516) 869-7614 or visit http://www.btdc.biz/OnlineRegistration.asp. For additional information, call 311.