At his sixth annual Women of Distinction awards ceremony Saturday, , R,C,I-East Meadow, honored 22 women from across the 17th Assembly District for the “tremendous impact they have had on their com:munities and the diligence with which they have sought to better the lives of others through their commitment to service.”
Seven women with strong ties to the New Hyde Park area were among those recognized during a morning ceremony August 11 at the Albertson VFW Hall:
New Hyde Park:
- Mary Lane, a religious education and vacation Bible school teacher who helped to found the Holy Spirt Singles Association and who currently serves as director of the group.
Garden City Park:
- Mary LaClair, the telecommunications operations manager at Brookhaven National Laboratory and religious education teacher at who also helped establish the girls division of the New Hyde Park Little League
- Hon. Doreen Ehrbar, who was the village’s first female mayor, serving the community for 6 years.
- Rose Marie Farrar, a singer at St. Aiden’s Church who also performs for the residents of A. Holly Patterson Nursing Home and serves them lunches
- Diane Thorp, a R.N. who has been involved in the Herricks community with PTA, music and athletic boosters, Boy and Girl Scouts and St. Aiden’s CYO.
- Mary Ann Zwiebel, a R.N. and Girl Scout Troop Leader for over 10 years.
- Theresa Fiorentino, a member of the Albertson-Roslyn Heights Republican Club for the past 55 years who has never missed a meeting and is also a staple at the Herricks Board of Education meetings.