Five Star Indian Cuisine has been fined $10,000 by the Village of New Hyde Park for violations stemming from at the Jericho Turnpike restaurant.
The village Building Department brought the establishment to court Aug. 15 to face charges about improperly installed electrical lines and evidence that the basement was being used for sleeping instead of being dedicated solely to storage, both of which may have led to the start of the blaze.
“That’s our belief, yes that’s what we believe (happened),” New Hyde Park Building Superintendent Tom Gannon said during a meeting of the village board on Aug. 21 at the village hall
The two fines levied against the village together totaled $10,000.
“It was the third offense, which it was as high as it is,” Gannon said.
The fire reportedly broke out at 8:47 a.m. on June 6 and did not cause any injuries.
A representative from Five Star Indian Cuisine was not available for comment.