The New Hyde Park Village Board of Trustees held a meeting on August 21. Here are some things you may have missed.
Jericho Turnpike Project
- Village architects Saratoga Associates are concluding the .
- According to trustee Donald Barbieri the plans should be done and submitted by the end of August.
- He stated that it is his belief that the village would receive the green light to go out and bid “” with the project beginning in “early spring” of 2013.
- “I think we are, for real, at a finish line and we will be able to make this project happen to its conclusion next spring,” Barbieri said.
2011-12 Budget Surplus
- Mayor Daniel Petruccio said that the village is “definitely coming in with a surplus” on its 2011-12 fiscal budget.
- He estimated that it could be in the range of $250,000 and would be put into the capital reserve.
- “I want to commend the department heads and my fellow board members, we asked a lot of our people, we asked them to do more with less, which should be the mantra of every municipal government today, they were able to accomplish that,” the mayor said.
Building Department Report
- The building department issued 84 permits in the month of July.
- Trustee Lawrence Montreuil noted that as roof permits continue to lead the number issued, there has been a “big surge” in building and plumbing permits. “It looks like there’s a lot of home improvement going on, so I think that’s very encouraging,” he said.
- About 30 apartment inspections of the 150 apartments in the village have been completed. The village is still waiting on 21 landlords to return the form associated with the rental registration. The inspections occur every 2 years.
- There were no cases for the architectural review board in August.
- The zoning board of appeals met on August 8 and heard two cases, both of which were granted. The next meeting of the zoning board of appeals will be September 12 at the village hall at 7:30 p.m.
- Ruth Kiernan, an employee of the building department, will be retiring after 9 years of service. “Ruth has been an outstanding asset to the building department,” Montreuil said, “really keeping things humming, meeting people at the counter, putting all sorts of information together for me personally, as well as just a sundry of clerical tasks and helping Tom (Gannon) to manage that very, very busy office.”
Block Party Applications
The following block party applications were approved:
- September 1 (rain date September 2) – South 16th Street between Jericho Turnpike and Plaza Avenue from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- September 1 (rain date September 2) – Seventh Avenue between Covert Avenue and South Eighth Street
- Saturday, September 8 (no rain date) – Highland Avenue between Terrace Boulevard and Leonard Boulevard from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Half is within the boundary of the village and the other half is within the Town of North Hempstead, which will be sent an application for their portion.
Other Board News
- A restaurant license renewal was granted to . It was reported at the meeting that there are new owners taking over the business once again. There have been no violations issued to the business.
- The will hold their annual golf outing on October 11 in coordination with the New Hyde Park Lions Club.
- The New Hyde Park Little League Boys Majors won District 29 and played in the sectionals for the first time in 28 years, but ended up losing to a team from the Bronx, which was recently discovered to be tainted. Following the return of the girl’s majors from the Little League Softball World Series in fifth place, the village will coordinate honoring the team at the upcoming street fair on September 15 at 11 a.m. at village hall.
- The was projected to being on August 27 at the latest.
- Tree trimmings are close to completion for the year with the scheduled 30 removals beginning on August 28. The removals will be followed by stump removal and sidewalk repair.
- New Hyde Park Auxiliary Officer John Concannon reported that “things have been pretty quiet at Nuzzi and at after hours.” He added that the auxiliary police will have eight officers at the street fair throughout the day assisting the county police.
- Marilyn McClean will be producing another Christmas Show with the theme being “Toy Camp.” Auditions will be in the William Guild Theater September 17 at 7 p.m.
- A car wash request from the PTA for Saturday, September 22 with a rain date of September 29 was approved.
- The village’s summer concert series at Memorial Park will conclude with a performance by “Sister Act,” featuring two sisters who perform songs from various female acts, on August 30 at 7 p.m.
- The village will apply for a justice court grant from the New York State Justice Court for the 2012 Justice Court Grant program in an undisclosed amount.
- The village’s 17th annual street fair will be held on Saturday, September 15. The antique car show will also be held on that date.
The next meeting of the New Hyde Park Village Board will be on September 4 at 8 p.m. at the .