The New Hyde Park Village Board of Trustees held a meeting on July 17. Here are some things you may have missed.
Road Improvement Project
- The village board awarded a contract on June 26 to the firm of Road Work Ahead who submitted the lowest bid of $824,841.15 to improve a number of roads in the village.
- Some of the streets of the include South 12th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues, South 12th Street between Third and Fourth Avenues and the dead end of Sixth Avenue.
- A resolution authorizing Mayor Daniel Petruccio to enter into an inter-municipal agreement for the road improvement project was approved. The mayor explained that the agreement was a cooperative effort between New Hyde Park and Stewart Manor which had approached the village about repaving some of the interconnecting sections of roadways at the boarders between the two municipalities in order to achieve a savings through economy of scale and also expand the scope of the project.
- Within the next 5 years the village board’s goal is to reconstruct every road in the village.
Department of Transportation Reconstruction Project
- Sometime in mid-August, the state will begin a roadwork project on Jericho Turnpike, Covert Avenue, Lakeville Road, Hillside Boulevard and New Hyde Park Road.
- Plantings and street furniture will be installed in March 2013 in New Hyde Park.
- The state department of transportation will also have federal grant money to repave Jericho Turnpike by the summer of 2013. Handicap accessible curbcuts will be installed by this summer on Jericho Turnpike.
- The Greater monthly meeting will be held on July 25 from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. The night will also be the 50th Anniversary Summer BBQ at . The cost is $19.62 per person.
- Concert in the Park: “Cinderella” on Wednesday, July 25 at 7 p.m. in.
- Concert in the Park: “Cold Spring Harbor Band,” a tribute to the music of Billy Joel on Wednesday, August 1 at 7 p.m. in Memorial Park.
Other Board News
- The village ended the 2011 fiscal year with a surplus in excess of $200,000. It was reported that the cash reserve for village would be around 10 percent.
- The parks department issued 82 permits so far for this year.
- Deputy Mayor Robert Lofaro suggested adult playgrounds should be made in the village for people 30 years-old and over with exercise stations.
- The new village garbage truck will be delivered to the village in 4 months to replace old one and cost $191,875. Gabrielli Truck Sales was awarded the contract.
- A car was request for the New Hyde Park Firecats/Wildcats on August 18 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. was approved.
- “Spotlight New Hyde Park,” the village musical and talent competition, has been postponed until the fall.
The next meeting of the New Hyde Park Village Board will be on Tuesday, August 21 at 8 p.m. at the .