The New Hyde Park Village Board of Trustees held a meeting on November 20. Here are some things you may have missed.
Jericho Turnpike Project
- The state department of transportation has stopped all of their road construction on Long Island as of November 17.
- Trustee Donald Barbieri said that the time frame for the “Operation: Downtown” and repaving of Jericho Turnpike might be affected as the state crews were working with different utilities on underground projects in advance of the resurfacing work.
- “Whether or not they’re able to complete their work is going to be dependent on the weather, whether asphalt remains available, crews are doing roadwork,” he said.
- Crews have started their work on the Cross Island Parkway in Bellerose.
Spotlight: New Hyde Park
- The cultural committee is sponsoring “Spotlight: New Hyde Park” where youth can compete in talent, singing and dancing in the William Guild Theater at village hall.
- Dates for the competition will be in January.
- The contest is open to residents from “very young” up to age 21 in an effort to catch those home from college.
- The date for those aged 13-21 is Jan. 10-11, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
- On Jan. 13, 2013 the elementary students up to age 12 will be welcome.
- Entrants are advised to log onto the village website to download an application.
- There is no charge to participate in the contest.
September Building Department Report
- The building department issued 46 building permits during the month of October, down two from September.
- The Zoning Board of Appeals was planning on meeting on November 14, one case of a bakery at 1200 Jericho Turnpike was postponed until December 12.
Other Board News
- The New Hyde Park Lions Club will take delivery of their Christmas Trees on Saturday and Sunday for their annual sale on Jericho Turnpike across from village hall.
- The village will be taking delivery of their new garbage truck either the first or second week of December.
- The village cultural committee will hold a magic show for children on December 1 at 3:30 p.m. in Marcus Christ Hall followed by the annual village tree lighting.
- Marilyn McClean and the Children’s Theater of New Hyde Park will perform “Toy Camp” on December 15 at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. and December 16 at 3 p.m. Tickets are on sale at village hall for $2 each.
The next meeting of the New Hyde Park Village Board is on December 4 at 8 p.m. at the village hall.