The New Hyde Park Village Board of Trustees held a meeting on May 15. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
Village Budget Surplus
- The New Hyde Park Village Budget will end the fiscal year with a surplus of $170,000. The total budget for 2011-12 was $5.8 million.
- The excess funds will be made available to buy and plant trees in the village.
- In addition, the new fiscal year budget which begins on June 1 will allow for the purchase of a new garbage truck.
Road Improvement Project
- A resolution was adopted during last week’s staff meeting to borrow money for .
- The estimated cost is $1.5 million according to Trustee Robert Lofaro.
- Serial bonds will be used to finance this project over a 15-year period.
- “,” a 6-week singing completion to find the “Voice of the Village” will be open for children and teens starting on July 13.
- The competition will run every Friday up until August 17.
- There is a $5 entry fee that must be submitted by July 1.
- The sing-off will be held at the William Gill Theater.
Block Party Requests
- Saturday, July 28: Lowell Avenue from New Hyde Park Road to Terrace Boulevard from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Saturday, August 18: 11 Avenue from Covert Avenue to Premier Boulevard and from Seventh and Tenth Avenue from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- The New Hyde Park Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) requested the use of Marcus Christ Hall on July 19 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- A resolution passed to hire Joseph Borbeck as a new part-time laborer.
Other Board News
- The village received FEMA money for the replacement of fencing along the railroad tracks.
- The next edition of the village newsletter is at the printer and will be ready within two weeks.
- On May 26 at 10 a.m. a veteran’s memorial tribute and parade will assemble at Hillside Boulevard and go down to village hall.
- A special use hearing is set for June 19 to discuss a proposed medical office at 608-A Jericho Turnpike.
- The village summer camp program will start June 25.
- Deputy Inspector Sean McCarthy from the will be speaking at the July 17 village board meeting. Residents are encouraged to bring their concerns and thoughts.
The next meeting of the New Hyde Park Village Board will be on Tuesday, June 19 at 8 p.m. at the .