The Herricks Board of Education held a meeting on Thursday, January 10. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
- The board approved of appointing a school allergist – Dr. Paul Lang.
- His fee is $400 an hour for consultation services.
- Superintendent Dr. John Bierwirth explained that as the district gets more students who have allergies, it was important to have someone already retained in this area rather than not having the expert in place.
- Dr. Bierwirth added that the fee is “steep” but that it was the “going rate.”
- The board accepted a grant from the Asia Society for $11,000. Superintendent Dr. John Bierwirth explained that this grant is for this year’s Chinese language program.
Other Board News
- A 1987 Chevy van was declared as surplus by the board. Dr. Bierwirth joked that they district “got every last mile out of that.” He also joked that “We don’t replace anything here. It just comes here and dies.”
The next meeting of the Herricks Board of Education will be on Thursday, January 24 at the community center.