The Herricks Board of Education held a meeting on Monday, July 2 following their . Here are some of the things you may have missed.
Athletic Field Fees
- A discussion was held concerning the fees for usage of the athletic fields and whether the fees should be extended to the buildings or other areas.
- Board president Christine Turner initially floated the idea of a suggestion donation for groups that use the district’s buildings.
- After some discussion, the board decided that the idea of a donation for one area but a fee for the fields created inequality.
- The board will be looking into the fees for fields and other usage in upcoming meetings.
- The board approved of a contract with Northwest Evaluation Association in Portland for $2,446.40. Superintendent Dr. John Bierwirth explained that this was for services related to APPR and that if this program works, then Dr. Bierwirth and Assistant Superintendent Dr. Deirdre Hayes will not have to do all of the calculations related to the new program.
- A contract with Finance Manager Annual Maintenance was renewed by the board for $17,129. The previous year, this contract was $17,044.
- The board approved the renewal of the student accident policy with USI New York with basic coverage at $23,416.70 and catastrophic coverage at $3,708.51.
- The board approved an agreement with Educational Data Services for $8,980. This group organizes different districts in the tri-state area and allows for them to bid jointly for a possibly cheaper price for supplies. Assistant Superintendent Helen Costigan said that the group has saved the district about $405,000 over the past five years.
- A contract was renewed with U.S. Specialty Underwriters for excess worker's compensation insurance to the tune of $30,653 for the 2012-2013 school year. The worker's compensation limit for this is $450,000.
Other Board News
- A car allowance of $1,000 was approved for Ben Fiorenti, Steven Thompson, Vincent Haughwou, Kathy Poplawski and Leonard Pesce. This allowance is to be used when these people are using their personal cars for Herricks School District business.
The next meeting of the Herricks Board of Education will be on Thursday, July 19 at 7:15 p.m. at the .