The Herricks Board of Education held a meeting on Thursday, June 28. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
- A bid for solar panels in the amount of $110,400 was approved by the board.
- The panels are the result of a grant from Assemblywoman Michele Schimmel, Dr. Bierwirth explained and they will be put on all three of the district’s elementary schools.
- The work for these panels will be done this summer.
- Four mini grants of $250 a piece were approved from the Herricks Art Boosters Association for teachers Karen Renna, Claude Commisso, Allyson Zebrowski, Jennifer Cavalluzzo and Beth Williams. These grants are for projets including self-portraits, printing photos and exterior plaques.
- The board accepted a gift of two $1,000 scholarships from the Herricks Community Fund to be given to seniors. This year's scholarships were already given out. Superintendent Dr. John Bierwirth said it is his understanding that this group will have these scholarships each year.
Other Board News
- The Young Indian Culture Group’s yearly rental agreement for $37,179 was approved by the board. Last year, the group’s rent was $36,500.
- The board approved the following rental agreements for this year:
- $24,693.50 for the Long Island Advocacy Center
- $4,725 for the American Theater Dance group for its office space.
- The board approved of geese control for $17.95 per visit. The district has budgeted $26,000 for this, although Dr. Bierwirth said he doesn’t anticipate getting close to that number.