The Herricks Board of Education held a meeting on Thursday, September 6. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
Teachers Association Agreement
- A memorandum of agreement between the Herricks Union Free School District and the Herricks Teachers Association was made regarding the district's bus drivers, automotive service people, transportation staff, information specialists, custodians, cleaners, maintenance staff, laborers, grounds crew and AV and computer technicians.
- The memorandum states that, “As a result of reduction in staff at the elementary schools, technicians, custodial employees, cleaners, bus driver/cleaners, laborers, information specialists and maintenance employees at the elementary schools will receive a wage differential of 7 percent when the majority of the total hours worked are after 4:30 p.m.”
- This agreement will end on June 30, 2015.
- Five people in this category left the district and were not replaced because they would have subsequently needed to be cut in the 2013-2014 school year, Dr. Bierwirth said.
Other Board News
- The board approved a transfer $350,000 from its employee retirement contribution reserve to its tax certiorari 2012-2013 reserve.
- The board approved the Young Indian Culture Group's rent for the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 school year at $36,500 a year.
- A FEMA grant for damages incurred related to Hurricane Irene was accepted in the amount of $41,324.
- A grant of $30,000 from State Senator Jack Martins was accepted. This will be used for a kindergarten through eighth grade literacy, reading and writing program that otherwise would have been lost.
- The board approved of a proposal for a trip to France for Herricks High School students who take French. The trip will be from March 22 through March 31 and will cost $3,300.
- Superintendent Dr. John Bierwirth and Assistant Superintendent Dr. Deirdre Hayes have been approved as Qualified Lead Evaluators for building principals.
The next meeting of the Herricks Board of Education will be on Thursday, September 20 at 7:15 p.m. at the .