The following students at New Hyde Park Memorial High School have been named as students of the month for their respective departments and was submitted by the teachers of the respective departments:
Student Activities: Jaypee Perez & Vishnu Anil
- As vice president and president of New Hyde Park Productions, these seniors are everywhere since something is happening at New Hyde Park Memorial. The group uses all media types – video, still photography, journalism – to document goings on in our school community.
- In conjunction with MSG Varsity, the finished products are then uploaded to a website where all may appreciate and enjoy seeing themselves “on TV.”
- Whether it’s interviews with students and faculty members or covering club activities and sporting events, Jaypee and Vishnu are there.
- On top of that responsibility, both are standout students working hard toward future college careers.
Science: Allison Bauer
- Allison Bauer has been chosen as Student of the Month.
- She is a 12th grade student in Mrs. Sideridis’ AP Biology class.
- Her tests, quiz grades and lab reports are phenomenal.
- She is hardworking and extremely motivated and is a great role model for the younger students.
English: Noelle Becker
- Noelle’s bright smile and elaborate, witty stories made everyone smile, even on days when the atmosphere was a bit lackluster.
- Her genuine compassion for others, in addition to her persistence and determination to do well, garnished her the respect and admiration of her teachers and her peers alike.
- She is readily willing to take on constructive criticism to improve her writing and when she does apply recommendations suggested to her, her writing vastly improves.
Business/ Technology: Christopher Ferlazzo
- Ferlazzo has successfully completed three business classes which included sports marketing, business communications, and career and financial management. Currently, he is enrolled in college marketing and business law, and his teachers report that he is doing very well in both classes.
- He is a member of the Future Business Leaders of America. In addition, he is on the varsity baseball, varsity basketball and varsity soccer team.
- At this time, Ferlazzo is uncertain of where he will attend college in the future, but he wishes to pursue a career in the corporate world.
Math: Kristina Horan
- Horan is a 7th-grade student in Mr. Basil’s period five Pre-Algebra Class.
- She had a tough time adjusting to the school at first, struggling in math and often felt discouraged by her results. before lessons began clicking about a month-and-a-half ago.
- She started paying better attention in class and began to attend regular extra help sessions.
- The math department congratulates her on her improvement.
Health: Abha Japi
- Japi is a student in Ms. Rizzuti’s 7th grade health class.
- She shows her interest in the health field with intelligent questions and witty responses and is a diligent student that is well organized.
- Japi received a 99 for the first marking period and is on her way to achieving another excellent grade for the second marking period.
Physical Education: Joseph Kotarski
- Kotarski is a student in Mrs. McKeough's second period 11/12th grade class.
- He is always prepared and on time for class, well mannered, respectful and ready to lend a hand whenever he can and a role model for all students.
World Languages: Marissa Palazzo
- Palazzo is currently enrolled in Mrs. Deo’s Italian 2 class and is maintaining an “A” average.
- Her ability to both comprehend and utilize Italian is incredibly impressive.
- She takes great pride in her work and strives to become fluent in Italian.
Academy of Finance: Ronny Reyes
- Reyes is the treasurer of the French Club, and Financier’s Club, a hospital volunteer, a member of the FBLA.
- He has been inducted into the National Honor Society, Foreign Language Honor Society and Business Honor Society.
- His future career goal is to become an accountant.
- Over the summer Reyes completed his Academy of Finance summer work based learning experience at Hospital Receivables Systems in Westbury, New York.
- “Working this past summer was a valuable experience that opened my eyes to the real world of work,” he said.
- Next year Reyes’s first choice is to attend New York University’s Stern School of Business.
Art: Christen Romando
- A studio art student, Romando has shown great competence in all the art assignments that she has undertaken.
- Throughout the entire art process, she maintains a calm, studious and enthusiastic demeanor, which not only serves her well, but also serves as a role model for her classmates.
- Romando currently has a 99 average.
- Currently, one of Christen’s works of art, a straw pattern design, can be seen in the showcase outside of room 141.
Social Studies: Claudia Vlakancic
- Vlakancic is an 8th grade student in U.S. History who consistently goes above and beyond classroom requirements.
- Her teacher states that it is obvious by viewing her behavior that Claudia has a love for history and that “in all of the four months I have had Claudia in class I don’t think I have asked a question she could not answer.”