The following students at New Hyde Park Memorial have been named as students of the month for their respective departments and was submitted by the teachers of the respective departments:
Academy of Finance: Joel Barbosa
- Joel is a hard-working student who is a pleasure to have in class according to his teachers.
- In addition to his academic studies, he is a member of the FBLA and will be traveling to Rochester to attend the annual State Leadership Conference and compete in business-related events representing New Hyde Park Memorial.
- Joel’s future career goal is to become the Head Athletic Trainer for the Washington Redskins.
- Over the summer Joel completed his Academy of Finance summer work based learning experience with Family & Friends Cruise Groups from the New York City Area where he created and maintained the business’ website and worked with customers.
- Currently, he is choosing between SUNY Stonybrook and the University of Connecticut.
English: Alexa Guercia
- Alexa is always a ray of sunshine; always in a good mood, always smiling and is always happy regardless of circumstances.
- Alexa is a hard worker with a very strong work ethic.
- She is a very compassionate and admirable young lady who strives to do her best to be as successful as possible.
- Alexa is admired by her peers and is well respected amongst her teachers.
World Language: Neelam Karan
- Neelam Karan is a student in Ms. Tiwari’s Spanish 2 class who is a hard-working, conscientious student who consistently achieves academic excellence in Spanish.
- Neelam’s enthusiasm and positive attitude contribute to her continued success in Spanish class.
- She approaches challenging coursework confidently and perseveres to success and is respectful, pleasant and focused in class.
Social Studies: Asis Kaur
- Asis is a student in Mr. Laugen’s 9th Grade Global History class.
- Asis is the type of student all teachers enjoy having in class; intelligent, hard-working, and friendly.
- Her work ethic is impeccable and her grades are consistently at the top of the class, her assignments are always on time and completed with great pride.
- Asis also contributes to class with thought-provoking comments and interesting questions that prove she is both extremely bright and mature for her age.
- It is Asis’s personality that really adds to class; she always comes to class with a smile and kind words, instantly putting those around her at ease.
Physical Education (Boys): Chris McIntosh
- Chris has a done a terrific job for the first three marking periods in Physical Education class.
- He is always willing and ready to participate in all our activities.
- Chris has demonstrated leadership qualities and the ability to work well with in groups.
Art: Gina Melone – Studio Art
- As only a freshman, Gina has shown advanced skill in drawing and painting.
- With her keen eye for proportion, composition and color, she has excelled in using mixed media to render creative and imaginative works of art.
- Gina not only shows her enthusiasm for art within the classroom, but she is also a reliable member of the National Art Honor Society.
- The Art Department looks forward to seeing her continue to grow as a successful artist in the near future.
Family and Computer Sciences: Alexandra Petricca
- Petricca was chosen for her excellent effort, determination and achievement.
- She is presently taking Home and Career Skills and is accomplishing the task marvelously.
- Alexandra has expressed an interest in doing very well in school so she can enter an Ivy League institution of her choice.
- She stated, “Mrs. Mejia’s Home and Career Skills course has given me the tools to succeed for the future.”
- She is also very involved in after school activities.
Student Activities: Justin Rezin
- As Co-President of the Key Club, Justin goes above and beyond what is called for.
- He is a reliable, helpful, responsible young man who participates and promotes all Key Club activities.
- Many days Justin can be found staying late after school or helping out during his free periods when something needs to be done.
- He was the driving force behind many projects this year, including some of our biggest, the Sandy Relief Drive, the Adopt-a-Family program and the Dodgeball Tournament.
- He has raised money and awareness about many of the charities we support.
- He attends night time monthly meetings at the Mary Brennan INN Soup Kitchen and helps out organizing their food and clothing pantries and puts together meal bags for needy families.
- Justin is generous and kind and always willing to work extra to accomplish a goal.
- He tries to get everyone involved and looks for ways to keep Key Club fun.
Math: Michele Romando
- Michele is a 12th grade student in Ms. Joseph’s first Period PreCalculus class.
- She is the type of student that most teachers love to have because of her diligence, work ethic, and pleasant demeanor.
- She is hard-working and her academic performance exemplifies this.
- In class, Michele has proven to be a take-charge person because, when she has a question about something, she doesn’t hesitate to ask.
- Her academic performance and her overall demeanor are attributes that make Michele a person that her peers can look to as a role model.
Health: Jalissa Sanchez
- Jalissa is a great asset to have in class.
- She participates and adds to the class discussions.
- Jalissa takes excellent notes and is a very conscientious student.
- She currently has a 96 average in Health.
Science: Dhaval Shah
- Junior Dhaval Shah has excelled in Science, completing Advanced Earth Science, Advanced Living Environment, and Advanced Chemistry.
- Currently, Dhaval is taking Advanced Physics, AP Biology and Science Research.
- Next year, Dhaval plans to take AP Chemistry.
- Whether the topic is photosynthesis, respiration, evolution, genetic engineering, or human physiology, Dhaval can explain complicated principles, write coherent essays, and be fascinated with it all.
- Dhaval plans to major in science in college, and to pursue a career in the scientific world.
Business/ Technology: Steve Simon
- Steve has successfully completed four business classes which included Career and Financial Management, Keyboarding, Personal Finance and Computer Applications.
- Currently, he is enrolled in Web Page Design.
- Steve is a member of Varsity Track and the Spanish Club.
- He also has participated in the Science Olympiad.
- Steve also works at North Shore-LIJ hospital as a volunteer.
- He plans on becoming a doctor and will pursue his dream in the New York Institute of Technology Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program this fall.
- Steve’s strong work ethic, positive attitude and self-discipline will undoubtedly help him achieve high levels of success as he pursues his dreams.