Academy of Finance: Abie Varughese
- Varughese's teachers report that he is a well-mannered, conscientious student, who is a pleasure to have in class.
- He is also actively involved in many school and community activities.
- He is Publicity Officer for Student Council, a member of the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), President of the Financier’s Club, and an active participant in the Red Cross Club.
- In his spare time, he enjoys business competition; at the LIBTA Competitions he placed first in Computer Applications and third in Web Page Design.
- At the First Annual Nassau County Comptroller’s Entrepreneurial Challenge last May, Varughese and his team placed third.
- In addition, he attended LIU’s Business Honors Institute Boot Camp and has volunteered over 200 hours in the I.T. Department at Jamaica Hospital.
- Over the summer Abie completed his Academy of Finance summer internship at the ERA Caputo Realty in New Hyde Park under the direction of broker Peter Caputo.
- “Everyone in the office was very welcoming, happy to help me learn, and eager to teach me about the real estate market,” he said. “I thoroughly enjoyed working in this office.”
- Next year Abie will begin his college career. He would like to attend either CUNY Baruch College or LIU.
- One day Abie would like to work for a large investment bank or hedge fund.
Social Studies: Reem Ahmed
- Reem Ahmed is currently a senior at New Hyde Park Memorial and enrolled in Advanced Placement Psychology.
- Within the first month of school, Reem has already proven that she is an exceptional student. She does very well on all assessments but more impressively, she consistently participates and asks thought provoking questions.
- Besides AP Psychology, Reem has always done very well in all Social Studies classes.
Business: Brian Ambadjes
- Ambadjes successfully completed many business courses including Keyboarding, Personal Finance, and College Accounting.
- Currently, he is enrolled in Business Law.
- Next year, Ambadjes plans to attend Northeastern University where he will study accounting.
Music: Anthony D’Ammassa
- D’Ammassa has been a stalwart member of the choral organizations, emerging as a leader in both our Concert Choir and Chamber Singers.
- His positive, upbeat demeanor enhances every rehearsal and performance of which he is a part.
- His fine bass voice has also been an asset to both the Sewanhaka District Festivals and the Alexander Dashnaw Invitational Choral Festival.
- Now a senior, Anthony is currently serving as treasurer of our Concert Choir.
Music: Taylor Giallanza
- Currently a junior, Giallanza has been a dedicated and highly valued member of our choral organizations throughout her high school career.
- One of our very finest singers, she plays an integral role in the success of our Senior High Concert Choir and Chamber Singers.
- She has been selected to perform with the All County Chorus and District Festival Chorus every consecutive year possible.
- In addition, Giallanza has repeatedly garnered top scores at the NYSSMA Solo Festivals, and as a result was chosen this year to be a part of the prestigious All State Festival Chorus.
Science: Justin Varughese
- Varughese is a calm, sophisticated, intelligent senior who is highly interested in Science.
- Having completed AP Chemistry as a junior, he is currently taking AP Biology and excelling in it.
- Need the lab figured out? Ask Justin. Can’t tell where those electrons went in respiration? Ask Justin.
- His mastery of the course material is non-parallel.
- Completing college applications this fall, Justin is hoping to be accepted into the Macauley Honors Program at Brooklyn College next year.
- He plans to continue to study Science in the future and pursue a medical career.
World Languages: Christopher Kerrane
- Kerrane is an eighth grader in Ms. Salcedo’s Spanish 8 class.
- He likes to help his peers when they need help and is the true definition of a stellar student.
- He is involved in many other activities which make him a versatile student.
- Kerrane plays school sports such as baseball, track and basketball.
- His favorite classes are Social Studies, Spanish and English.
Student Activities: Samantha Longo
- Longo is a twelfth-grade student, receiving exemplary grades in every class.
- She is not only an exceptional scholar but also involved in numerous extracurricular activities.
- She is Student Activities Student of the Month because of her leadership in the Student Council. She has been elected on the Student Council for the past two years and is currently the President of the Student Council.
- She is not only the voice of New Hyde Park on the PA system every morning but she has been instrumental in planning the G.O. Card Sale, the Junior High Dance, the Spirit Day Breakfast, and is spearheading our many initiatives unique to her presidency.
- She works tirelessly for the betterment of the school on each and every program and is a great representative for the student body.
Family and Consumer Science: Daniella Malliae
- Malliae was chosen for her excellent effort, determination and achievement.
- She is presently taking Child Psychology and Development and is accomplishing the task marvelously.
- Malliae has also been an active member of the FCCLA club for four years and has earned the position of President this year; her involvement has created a new and welcoming environment for all to join.
English: Alicia Manjila
- Manjila is a student in English 10 Advanced and has, thus far, shown through her participation and work ethic that she is deserving of the honor.
- In a short time she has proven an exceptional student and has commanded an understanding of the subject.
- Her in-class demeanor is such that when she speaks, her peers listen and respond, often prompting thoughtful conversation.
Art: Pierce Reid
- Reid has continued to challenge himself this year by enrolling in Advanced Placement Two-Dimensional Design and Media Arts classes.
- He strives for perfection with any artistic challenge he is presented with.
- His beautiful use of charcoal, watercolors and colored pencils renders amazing photo realistic results.
- Reid is also a dedicated member of the National Art Honor Society, being elected as the Vice President for the 2013-2014 school year.
Physical Education: Angel Shaji
- Shaji is an 8th grader in Mr. Robins’ Health class in the 2013-2014 school year.
- Shaji has a 97 grade point average and is a student who is always looking to participate in classroom discussions and is a hardworking student with 100 percent attendance in class and homework assignments.
- Sharma is in Mrs. Van Wie's Math 8 Advanced class and she currently holds the highest grade-point average of 99 percent.
- She has been a member of the Junior High Mathletes since 7th grade and she has played a significant role in helping New Hyde Park Memorial in Count Competitions.
- Her class work, homework, and participation are exemplary.