The Sewanhaka Board of Education held a meeting on Tuesday, June 26. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
- The board approved of paying Carole Metzger $90 an hour for 12 hours max as part of the district’s mentor/mentee program.
- The following English as a second language teachers will be paid $230 for five hours for testing new entrants of the district, which will be done on August 20: Diane DeLuca, Julia Roldan and Bonnie Schriro.
- The board approved of paying Maureen Baranov $276 for 6 hours of instruction on smartboards on August 1.
- Scholastic, Inc. will provide training and classroom coaching (10 days at $1,899 per day) on the Read 180 (3 days at $2,899 per day), System 44 (2 days at $2,899 per day) and Read About (2 days at $2,899 per day) systems for the 2012-13 school year during October 2012 and March 2013 at a total cost of $39,283 to be funded through Title I.
- Contracts with Eiber Translations and Legal Language Services were approved to provide language interpreting and translation services for the 2012-13 school year at a cost of $75-105 per hour (3 hour minimum plus 1 hour travel time) and $50-90 per hour (2 hour minimum plus travel time at $25 per hour), respectively.
- A one-year contract with Princeton Review for SAT and PSAT prep classes was approved by the board.
- The board approved $14,000 to be used for the Junior Prom which includes, dinner, DJ, centerpieces, photobooth and favors. The prom will be held on May 18, 2013 at the Elks Lodge.
Other Board News
- Trustee David Del Santo volunteered to represent the board at the New York State School Boards Association 93rd annual convention and educational expo in Rochester in October. Board vice-President David Fowler is the alternate for this conference.
- A total of 12 enrollments for CSE students from New Hyde Park Memorial in BOCES Occupational Education was approved for the 2012-13 school year.
- The following purchases were approved from the student activities fund for New Hyde Park Memorial: $6,000 for fruit for a music club fundraiser; $6,000 for cookie dough for a music club fundraiser; $3,500 for rights, royalties, scripts, scores and music for a musical production of “The Sound of Music”; $3,500 for microphones, amplifier and case for a musical production of “The Sound of Music”; $3,000 for 30 uniforms for the Romanettes kickline team.
- A donation of $1,000 from Long Island University to New Hyde Park Memorial High School in recognition of Renee Madigan receiving the Educator of the Year award was accepted.
- The board approved an increase in the price of “Type A” lunches from $1.40 to $1.50. Breakfast will still remain at $1. There are no discounts for prepaying for meals.
- The board meetings for the 2012-2013 school year are at 8 p.m. on the following days: August 28, September 24, October 23, November 27, December 17, January 22, February 26, March 19, April 23, May 28 and June 25.
The next meeting of the Sewanhaka Board of Education will be on August 28 at 8 p.m. at .