The holidays are a time of reflection, giving and a time to think about using some of your free time to help others. Without the support of their community, some local charity groups will not be able to continue doing all of their work.
New Hyde Park Patch has compiled a list of some volunteer positions that are available locally. In this list are even opportunities that you can volunteer to help out from the comfort of your home.
1. Make-A-Wish Foundation, which grants the wishes of children diagnosed with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience, has numerous positions to be filled. They need volunteers in the following categories, Wish-Granting, Office Help, Speakers Bureau, Special Events, Wish Assist Phone Greeters and Wish-Story. They also accept student interns. The Wish-Story volunteer position can be done from your home. Hours vary based on position and your schedule. Full training is provided.
2. Herricks Alzheimer's Day Program are looking for people to participate in the activities that they run, as well as to socialize. They also have some paper work opportunities.
You can reach them at 516-742-0851 for more information.
3. 's Social Ministry department could use help in their food pantry with stocking shelves. They also could use drivers, shoppers and people to visit local parishioners.
For more information call 516-326-3403.
4. is constantly looking for volunteers. They ask that you fill out this online form at: http://www.nhpfd.com/Recruitment.php and someone will be in touch with you as to how the process works.
5. is always looking for volunteers to help in their many different offices with varying positions, based on your time and skills.
For more information about the positions and ways you can volunteer your time, they ask that you call 718-470-7000. You can also visit their website at: http://www.northshorelij.com/NSLIJ/lij.
6. has opportunities for high school students to serve community service hours as volunteers. Student can become library assistants helping with various duties and also receive their community service hours while helping out.
You can call 516-355-7850 for more information or visit their website at: http://www.nassaulibrary.org/hillside.
7. Ronald McDonald House is always looking for help with various duties, such as helping with the dinner program and in-house volunteers. They especially would love groups of people 16-years-old and older to come in and cook meals, as Ronald McDonald likes to provide dinners to the families on a daily basis.
They ask that you call 718-343-5683 for more information and ask for the volunteer coordinator to find out where you can best help or you can visit their website at http://www.rmhlongisland.org/home.html.
8. Education Assistance Corporation is in need of New Hyde Park residents. Their staff and volunteers have been helping Nassau County caregivers since 1986. Your time can help a caregiver in your neighborhood enjoy some time to themselves. The program offers free training, support and an hourly stipend is also available. Start the New Year off by offering the gift of respite to a family.
You can call 516-539-0150 Ext 217 and finding out more about how to help. You can also visit their website at: http://www.eacinc.org/p-seniorrespite.htm.
9. Meals on Wheels is looking for help preparing and packaging dinners to be delivered, organizing schedules, making phone calls, loading delivery vehicles and delivering meals.
For more information regarding what they will be looking for come the new year you can reach them at 845-229-5896 or visit their website at: http://www.mealcall.org/meals-on-wheels/ny/
10. Parker Jewish Institute is looking for volunteers of all ages to join their team to help with resident and patient care.
For more detailed information and to find out what exactly they need in the new year they ask that you call 718-289-2100 for more information or look over their website at: http://www.parkerinstitute.org/.